EVER WONDER HOW MANY FOOD RECIPES ARE NOW ONLINE? Millions? Billions? Who knows! Which leaves us wondering: How did people cook before the internet? While the sheer number of recipes is mind-boggling, it does mean that with a little internet sleuthing, anyone can be a chef — and we think that’s a great thing.
Featured Posts
The Latest Posts in Recipes
 Recently posted on WordPress.comSubscribe
Chicken livers
The Scarlet F
Awhile back, I posted a chicken liver recipe that included balsamic vinegar.  While yummy, I’ve decided that I actually prefer my chicken livers served very simply because I really like the flavor of the livers themselves.  (Aaaaand, I just lost 3/4 of my readers, didn’t I?)  Plus, the rest of my family only tolerates them, so I’ve taken to making them just for myself at lunch, and I want the quickest method possible. This is my super simple recipe: Chicken Livers (net carbs: 1.5g) 1/2 lb chicken livers (about 1/2 a container, or 4-6 livers) 1 Tbsp butter 1 Tbsp peanut oil garlic powder Place chicken livers on a plate lined with paper towels to dry.  Melt butter and oil in a small pan over medium heat.  Blot top of livers with more paper towel, then sprinkle liberally with garlic powder.  Place in pan, garlic side down, and sprinkle tops with more garlic.  Cover pan and cook for 5 min.  Flip livers (I find this easiest to do with two forks, one underneath and one on t
What does Family dinner time and cooking really mean to me?
Shugar's sit-downs
Last night everyone in the house was wondering what was for dinner – including me by the way.  I had bought a book on Panini Sandwiches earlier in the week and so the answer to the question of “What’s for dinner mom” was Panini Sandwiches.  Of course then the kids wanted to know what kind of bread I was using, what the fillings would be etc etc.  I felt no need to answer those questions because I had decided to make it a surprise! So off I went into cookbook reading land and I read some great information about Panini’s.  Who knew there was so much to learn about a “sandwich”.  The bread is important because you want something that is NOT airy, light or fluffy as it won’t grill right. So I learned that European-style breads are the best!  The Press itself, well it is important to have a heavy thick iron grid with a temperature control (I like it at 375ish) and they can be bought very conveniently too!  As for the fillings, heavy meats and cheeses not so good! But if you get the ri
+1 more image
A Vegetarian Friendly Dinner
The View à La Vu
I often get asked if I’m a vegetarian.  And the simple answer is always, “No!”  I do enjoy eating meat, but I usually opt for vegetarian meals.  My preference for vegetarian came from the simple fact that I am not good at cooking meat.  I also have limited time to prepare my meals between work, traffic, working out, friends, dog etc….  Vegetarian dishes often take a lot less time. One of my all-time favorite dinners to cook is Bruschetta Lentils.  I’ve written about this dish before as I often make and pack this for camping trips.  I swear I make this at least once a week because it’s quick, packed with protein, easy to alter with additional ingredients, and keeps very well as left overs for a mid-day snack. Here’s what you do to make the basic Bruschetta Lentils.  Go to Trader Joe’s.  Buy 1 pack of Pre-cooked Lentils, 1 jar of Bruschetta Sauce, and 1 package of Non-fat Feta Cheese. On a stove in a sauce pan, add the Lentils and 3/4 of th
Creamy Squash Soup
littleveg
I get so excited when I spot the first winter squash in the farmer’s market. This soup is creamy without a hint of dairy. It’s amazing how simple ingredients and a good quality sea salt can provide so much flavor. My favorite types of squash for this soup are kabocha or red kuri. Both of these types give a rich, creamy texture to the finished product. You can leave the skin on many types of squash. For a creamier texture, cut any hard bits and blemishes off the outside of the squash before cooking. 1 medium winter squash, cut into 2″ chunks 1 medium onion, diced several small pinches sea salt non-pasteurized shoyu toasted pumpkin seeds or parsley as garnish 1.  Place the onion in the bottom of a large stainless steel or cast iron pot. Layer the squash on top. Add a few pinches of seat salt and pour water up the sides until it just covers the squash. Bring to a boil on medium heat and then lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer covered until squash is soft. 2.  Remove pot
Apple Pie
When cleaning out my refrigerator last weekend I noticed I had some pie dough I needed to use. What better to make then an apple pie! I didn’t have time to get apples and make the filling from scratch, but I found a great canned filling recipe and it worked out perfectly! Ingredients: 9″ pie pan Pre-made pie dough in 9″ size 2 20 oz. cans of apple pie filling (can be found at your local grocery store in the baking section; Musselman’s is delicious) Fork Directions: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Roll out your pie dough into a 9″ pie pan. Fill the dough with 2 cans of apple pie filling. Roll our the second piece of pie dough on top, clamping the edges all round and creating a vent on top (I used a fork to do this). Put the pie in the oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and let the pie cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Let cool then ENJOY!  
Putanesca Napolitano
Good Day Sacramento
[worldnow id=6289819 width=385 height=288 type=video] Tina learned how to make Putanesca Napolitano in advance of this weekend’s Blues for Life fundraising event for breast cancer awareness. Blues for Life Sunday, October 2nd 1pm – 7pm Torch Club 2 stages plus Pasta Feed 916.927.1592 www.albieaware.org Putanesca Napolitano from Michelangelo’s Italian Art Restaurant 1 1/2 pounds fresh tomatoes medium dice or 1 1/2 pounds canned tomatoes diced 1 teaspoon finely chopper garlic (or to taste) 3 anchovy filets (if salted rinse first) 1/2 cup diced mixed olives in brine 2 teaspoons capers 1/2 cup marinara salt and pepper chili flakes to taste 1 pound penne cooked 1. heat a large saute pan and cover the bottom with olive oil (extra virgin) do not let it get too hot. 2. saute garlic and anchovy in the oil, breaking up the anchovy 3. when garlic is light brown add tomatoes, olive and capers 4. mix together and cook for a couple of minutes 5. add the marinara and continue cooking 6. salt li
Grandma Julie’s Poppy Seed Bread
4 Whatever It's Worth
My grandmother was always baking.  She was from a generation that never bought any store baked goods; everything was homemade. She baked regularly until she was in her early 90′s. Every Friday she baked a challah to welcome Shabbat (the Jewish Sabbath).  When the weather was dismal, she baked. She said baking always lifted her spirits. Her freezer was always stocked with cookies. They never needed defrosting.  The freezer was nearly our first stop upon entering her house; we ate her baked goods directly from the freezer. I have a handful of her recipes written in her handwriting.  Perhaps the one I make most often is her recipe for poppy seed bread. It’s written on yellow lined paper, split down the middle, stained, definitely weathered.  Occasionally I’ve misplaced it and temporarily panicked.  You’d think I’d have it memorized by now.  I always have a loaf in my freezer. It’s a favorite of mine, my father’s, and other family members.  Often I
Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuit Pot Pie
What's 4 Dinner Solutions
Well, supposedly it is Fall now…though we will see near 90 degree temperatures today.  I can only blame myself, I rearranged my closet this past weekend, bringing all my fall and winter things out.  Tempting fate, like washing your car on a sunny day ensures rain. But I’m certain, eventually, we will have a chill in the air and when we do, it will be the perfect time for this recipe.  A true comfort food and easy to put together.  A complete meal in one pan. Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuit Pot Pie 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces 2 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces Salt & pepper 1 tablespoon olive oil 1 tablespoons butter 1/2 small onion, diced 2 stalks celery, diced 2 cups sliced carrots 2 tsp crushed garlic ¼ cup all-purpose flour 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth 2 large Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and diced 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning 1/2 cup peas Buttermilk Biscuits: 2 cups flour 3 tsp baking powder ¼ tsp bakin
+2 more images
Honey, Sweet and Family
Tea, Roses and Sunshine
Growing up, holidays have always been about being with family, more than anything else.  Similarly, holiday meals have long been the time where the funniest jokes are told,  the best laughs are heard, and of course, where the best food is served.  Perhaps, it is also the company that makes everything so delicious and the memories unforgettable. When it comes to Rosh Hashana, the tradition is to eat sweet things to have a sweet year– usually done by dipping apples in honey.  However, as many families celebrate the holiday with formal meals, the tradition often extends to desserts as well.  (And if you’re around my family, you’ll hear the same reason to eat a little dessert year round, “…for a sweet year.”) While sweet treats are not always good-for-you foods, having them at times of celebration definitely separates the occasion from everyday meals.  In fact, one of our youngest (and cutest) family members has recently proclaimed she is going to make c

Comments