Can You Moisturize Without the Ick Factor?

AppId is over the quota AppId is over the quota When Nivea invited Everyday Health to attend the launch of its new Hydra IQ technology, I was more than skeptical about the new product launch. As a lotion connoisseur, I’ve tried everything before – from the glittery Disney princess lotions from my childhood to the “imported” lotions that I filched from my grandmother’s dresser years later. Despite all my trial and error, I still haven’t committed to a moisturizer – and I have dozens of half-used containers to prove it.

Nonetheless, I decided to go to the event because the name “Hydra IQ” caught my eye on the invitation. I’ve heard plenty of fancy names for beauty products, but I never heard of one referring to its intelligence, so when I saw “IQ” attached to the word “Hydra,” I was curious. Did “IQ” imply that these products are smarter than others? I wondered. But once I saw that Nivea was offering complimentary manicures, I was sold on attending. I figured that pretty nails would console me even if the products turned out to be a disappointment.


Nivea’s Hydra IQ technology claims to penetrate the skin’s layers for even protection and promises to hydrate the skin for more than 24 hours by maintaining the skin’s moisture level. The skin care launch includes four brand-new products, and the ingredients are also included in some of Nivea’s older skin care standbys. I tried three of its brand-new products in total, using at least one daily for two weeks.


I tend to slack off with the lotion when the weather gets warm because I hate when my skin feels greasy and sticky. But because of Nivea’s Express Hydration Freshening Gel, I don’t have that excuse anymore. It was by far my favorite Hydra IQ product because it’s made for the summer! Not only does it absorb quickly (less than two minutes), but its water-based formula makes it very lightweight. Plus, it contains mint extract, which gives your skin a cooling sensation.


I wasn’t as thrilled about Nivea’s Express Hydration Daily Lotion. Sure it kept its promise – the lotion was fast-absorbing and it did last 24 hours – but there are dozens of drugstore lotions that do the same thing for less than $8.99.


Out of the three Hydra IQ products I tried, Nivea’s Touch of Cashmere Body Wash was the only one I really didn’t like. The warm scent was too overpowering, and I expected it to be more moisturizing – especially since the body wash left a slippery residue.


Nivea’s Hydra IQ technology did deliver results, but don’t purchase the entire line if you’re on a budget. The Express Hydrating Freshening Gel was the only product that was worth the fancy moniker, especially with summer heat waves and humidity levels ahead.


You can buy Nivea’s Hydra IQ products in drugstores everywhere.


--Alysha Reid


 

Comments