Women 'want implants to rupture'

AppId is over the quota
AppId is over the quota
Maddii Lown By Maddii Lown
Newsbeat reporter Sarah Nash Sarah Nash had PIP implants taken out and found that they had both ruptured Some women with PIP implants want them to rupture so they can get them replaced for free, Newsbeat is told.

Others say they've had to go thousands of pounds in debt to have them out.

The Department of Health says implants are not toxic and they don't believe they are a threat to the long-term health of women who have them.

Six months ago Newsbeat spoke to more than 150 women with the faulty French implants and have managed to get back in touch with 70 of them.

We asked them questions about how they felt about their implants, how they paid for them to be taken out and how worried they were about having them in.

Thirty-three of the women who still had their implants in said they were causing them stress and that they wanted them taken out.

Many women admitted that when they went for scans they wanted to be told their implants had ruptured.

Some of the private clinics will only give free replacements if a rupture can be proved.

'Rupture'

Natalie Black is 26 and from Maidenhead, Berkshire, and had her PIP implants in 2008.

She says she can't afford to pay to have them replaced.

"While I was waiting for my results I secretly hoped I might have a tiny rupture," she said.

Continue reading the main story Natalie Black
While I was waiting for my results I secretly hoped I might have a tiny rupture. Obviously I have nothing, thank god, but it just means there's nothing they're prepared to do

Natalie Black

"Obviously I have nothing, thank god, but it just means there's nothing they're prepared to do.

"It means I have to save up £5,000 to 6,000 myself."

Twenty-three-year-old Sarah Nash, however, has had her implants replaced.

She was refused a scan because her GP said her implants were fine.

In the end she says she got a credit card to have them replaced and found they had both ruptured.

"I'm 100% happy they are out but I am very, very angry that I had to pay," she said.

"I actually didn't have to pay if I had been able to show the rupture on a scan.

"I could have saved myself a lot of money."

Doctor Ruth Waters is a consultant plastic surgeon at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham.

She said: "It's not easy to diagnose a ruptured implant clinically, especially early on.

"The scans, whether it's ultrasound or MRI, are not 100% fool-proof."

Sarah Nash's ruptured PIP implant Surgeons found that Sarah Nash's PIP implant had ruptured

View the original article here

Comments