The power of monitoring

It ceases to amaze me just how business people take the time to follow-up after that they made first contact with a prospect or a customer. In the last months, I think at least eight different situations in my own life (business & personal) when a person is not taking this initiative. Include a landscape architect who designed the plans of our property, two different people who spoke with me on the creation of a piece of literature for my business promotion, a representative of sale for a swimming pool company and seller of men's fashion which requested to send information. In each of these situations, I was very interested by the product or service offered by the seller.

This has me ask... Why do not followed people? I think there are several reasons.

That they do not want to appear demanding. It is true that too often follow-up will come across as being demanding. However, very few people never come close to crossing the line. In fact, one a few times, a vendor has been demanding, more because of its tone, rather than in fact he actually followed. As a business owner, I think it is our responsibility to keep suite with our prospects up until we know with certainty if they want to do business with us. However, I also strongly believe that we can cross the line by making too many calls in a short period of time. The true when comes it to balance? It depends on your business. A weekly call is more than enough to keep the contact that you make sure that your call is short and to the point. Don't lose time to your perspective by droning on and on. Also, if possible, provide additional value in your follow-up call. This can give your perspective a reason to choose you rather than a competitor.

They forget. It is easy to forget to consider how busy we are. We can have the intention to call our perspective but we climb taken in our company. Unexpected problems arise, what we spend more time in meetings ad stuck in traffic, and because we do plan follow-up, it is not. This is a common dilemma but which can be avoided by taking into account the follow-up as a regular appointment.

They make incorrect assumptions. I once submitted a proposal to a company and told them that I followed on a day and time. Unfortunately, I was extremely sick this particular day and it was several days before I get. I have then fought with if I need to call. I was concerned, that he would question why I give the Word as expected. Finally, a simple apology was sufficient to remedy the situation and to advance the sales process.

When someone is not immediately return our phone call or e-mail message, we assume generally the worst - even if this hypothesis is not checked. I have learned by experience that a lack of response can often be attributed to the fact that the other person is simply too busy to respond or does not have an answer for you. They think that the client or prospect will communicate with them. I think that this is one of the myths more common fall prey to business leaders. They think that if they do a good job, the client automatically calls us back - we do not need follow-up. Unfortunately, we can not rely on this if we are to achieve our sales goals. I remember talking to a couple of owners of the independent business to a networking function. Both deplored the fact that the companies do not return their calls. I have noted that the average Executive receives dozens of telephone calls every day and often hundreds of emails. They are extremely busy which means that they forget and more time which slips by, the less important your product or service can be for them.

They have never been taught. Many people have never received formal training of sale and do not know why they should follow-up and how to get there. It is relatively easy to remedy. First, ask or tell your prospect that you have taken on a specific day or time. Tell them how you will be followed (telephone, email, in person) and save it in your Planner day or time management system. I use Outlook and now include a callback so I remember tracking.

Follow-up must also be completed after the completed sale. A quick phone call after your product or service has been delivered confirming their decision to buy from you. I make an effort to send a manuscript to each client thank you card once the sale was confirmed, and again when the services they seek have been delivered.

Here is the bottom line. You can easily differentiate yourself from your competitors by making the effort to follow up with your prospects and customers. Do not take for granted that they will call you. Be proactive and communicate with them.

© 2005 Kelley Robertson, all rights reserved

Kelley Robertson, president of Robertson training group, works with companies to help them increase their sales and motivate their employees. Contact him at 905-633-7750 or Kelley@RobertsonTrainingGroup.com or ask at the KelleyRobertson.com.


View the original article here

Comments