Touchscreen Stylus - 2013 Subaru BRZ Long-Term Road Test

June 5, 2013

2013 Subaru BRZ

I may be 6-foot-3, but I have tiny girl fingers. Remember that woman on Seinfeld who Jerry dumped for having man hands? Well, I'm basically the opposite of her.

Why this confession? Well, the buttons on Subaru's touchscreen are so tiny and difficult to press while in motion that even I of the tiny girl fingers have trouble pressing them. I just hunt and peck away like a dim-witted pigeon, successfully pressing the desired button only about 33 percent of the time (give or take) as the firmly sprung BRZ jiggles and jostles my hand. And even if I do land the button square on, there's a good chance I simultaneously pressed part of two other buttons.

The ideal solution would be for Subaru to replace the thing...or buy a Scion FR-S. Barring that, I came up with a work-around courtesy of the Edmunds supply room.

This handy Pentel Clic Eraser ZE22 improved my press success up to at least 50 percent (give or take). In a way it makes sense. The difference in dexterity is akin to writing your name with your finger versus a pen. Beyond that, the eraser head's surface area is considerably smaller than most human fingers (girlish or otherwise), while its rubber surface provides suitable grip and texture to make the touchscreen respond. It also adds a little bit of length to compensate for the fact I sit far away, and well, those tiny girl fingers.

So there, problem solved.

James Riswick, Automotive Hand Model @ 15,630 miles


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

Comments