Tesco's finest hour not when turned down insurance renewal

I have a home insurance Tesco Finest. In January 2012 a huge ash tree in the garden of a neighbor came down in high winds, demolishing my shed, a low wall around a patio and garden furniture. Tesco finally settled my claim in may 2012 and renewed insurance.

However, this year I was told that it did not meet underwriting criteria. When asked this, I was told that it was because the complaint came to just over £ 10,000. This seems ridiculous as is the whole reason for the insurance to be prepared for the worst.

I spoke with the Association of British insurers and they say it is a commercial decision. Citizens advice also says Tesco has the right to refuse the offer. My problem is that when I try to get a quote that I'm asked if I have ever been refused insurance and I'm afraid that by answering Yes will affect my eligibility. CC, Sunbury-on-Thames, Middlesex

Some areas severely punish as insurance companies for the service they paid for. Typically, they do this by trekking the prizes you should make a claim and Tesco's sudden rejection of you, more than a year after winning, seems inexplicable. Tesco has hindered all your attempts to resolve the situation, is equally puzzled when query concerning logic and decides to blame human error. "We have contacted Ms Cooper to apologize, as after reviewing his case that we realize that we should have offered a chance to renew his policy," said a spokesman. Now rejoice for a new politics; good luck when you next to claim on it.

If you need help email Anna Tims atYour.problems@Observer.co.ukor write your problems, The Observer, Kings Place, 90 York Way, London N1 9GU. Include an address and telephone number.

Comments